Skip to main content

Used To It!

“How do you know which key to press?”

My 10 year old nephew, standing next to my chair while I was immersed in my work, asked me looking all amused and puzzled at the same time.

“Huh?”

I was equally puzzled by his question. When I realized what he was really pointing at, I was amused too.

My computer’s keyboard is missing some of the letters, and I never realized that. He was pointing at them and asking me how I’m able to read the letters if I can’t see them.

A paused moment…



And I suddenly replied, “I’m used to it.”

“Huh?” He couldn’t understand how that used-to-it thing really works. His mom called. He acted like he understood and went to her, still having that puzzled look on his face.

The moment I answered, it threw me into the whirlwind of thoughts. I kept thinking how I never realized this fact yet could complete my tasks. We are so used to so many things in our day-to-day life that we don’t realize that some of them are aging, or their existence is vanishing with time. They are the part of routine and that’s why we become ignorant about them. We get used to them.

There are many things which we are used to. We don’t appreciate their presence and importance. When the time comes, we just replace them. Just like that!!

But when I thought more, I came to realize that those lost letters have become a part of my fingers, a part of my memories. They are not really lost. I can now type without looking at each and every letter on keyboard and that has increased my typing speed. (Increased typing speed is a blessing for any writer, trust me. Whenever words are flooding your mind, you ought to give each word a chance to get typed. Then only you can step forward.) That’s how much they have become a part of my life.

Sometimes, we don’t value some things. May be because they are easily replaceable, may be they look negligible, or may be because we just get used to it.

That incident was small, more like negligible. But that made me realize again that we should appreciate small things even though they look not so important at first. His innocent question woke me up from my typical mundane robotic routine life, and made me more attentive to things around me.

 

Well, this is my story. How about you?

Do you have any day-to-day, small thing which you are so used to but almost have forgotten that it exists? 


-Kayanpri




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams

  Though he cried a little At least he cried a little   Maybe he caused some troubles But always gave the doubles   Dreamt of impossible Behaved unreasonable But with passion incomparable   The more he fight The more the delight The higher his dreams took flight   Fell, trampled over Tricked, tripped, but lost never   Always a believer Always a dreamer - Kayanpri 

सत्य

सत्य ... हा केवळ एक भास आहे . पटत नाही ना ? पण हेच सत्य   आहे . जगातलं शाश्वत किंवा त्रिकालाबाधित सत्य कोणतं , असं विचारलं तर त्याचं उत्तर कोणीही देऊ शकणार नाही . स्वतः काळही नाही . सत्य अबाधित असू शकत नाही . त्याला नेहमी अपवाद असतात जे त्याच्या अखंडपणाला बाधा आणत असतात . सत्य खरंच एक भास आहे . एखादी गोष्ट ‘ पूर्ण सत्य ’ आहे असे कुणी छातीठोकपणे सांगू शकेल का ? आपल्याला गोष्टी एकाच बाजूने दिसतात आणि मग त्याच आपण ‘ पूर्ण सत्य ’ मानून चालतो . सत्य नाण्याच्या दोन बाजूंसारखं दोन भागांत विभागलेलं असतं - एक , जे आपल्याला दिसतं ; दुसरं , जे त्यामागे असतं . म्हणजे जे आपल्याला माहीत झालेलं असतं ते ‘ अर्ध ’ सत्य असतं आणि तरीही लोक ‘ मला पूर्ण सत्य माहीत आहे ’  चा दावा करतात बिनधास्त . नाण्याच्या दोन्ही बाजू एकदम कधीच बघता येत नाहीत . एक बघावी तर दुसरीने पाठ फिरवलेली . हां , आरशासमोर उभे राहिलात तर एकाचवेळी दोन्ही बाजू बघता येतील . पण हे ही लक्षात ठेवायला हवं की त्या नाण्याबरोब

समांतर

  काचेअलीकडे बसलेले मी इमारतींच्या मागून डोकावणाऱ्या तुला बघत बसते आपली खूप ओळख आहे असं नाही पण तू अनोळखी तरी कुठे आहेस? वाढणाऱ्या वेगाबरोबर तुला बघण्याची वाढत जाणारी तीव्र ओढ आणि तुला जवळ घेण्याचा अनावर होत असलेला मोह इमारतींच्या खिडक्या लुकलुकत राहतात डोळ्यांसमोर नजरेतला तू मात्र हटत नाहीस धावणाऱ्या वेगाबरोबर श्वासांचा वाढता वेग आणि त्याच गतीने वाढणारी तुझ्याकडे झेपावण्याची ओढ मग खेळतोस तू खेळ लपाछपीचा मोठ्या इमारतींमागून तरळत राहते तुझी प्रतिमा डोळ्यांसमोर तुझ्यापेक्षा मग तुझ्या प्रतिमेसाठीची आसक्ती वाढत जाते आणि मग अस्वस्थ व्हायला लागतात एकेक अणुरेणू श्वासातले मंदावत जातो वेग आणि कानावर पडतात अनोळखी आवाज तितक्यात कुठूनशी चुकार रातराणी भिरकावून देते आपला गंध उघड्या काचेतून आत आणि मग अस्वस्थ श्वासांच्या लयीवर नाचत राहतो तो सुवास अंतरात दरवळत जातो, रोमारोमांत तरळत जातो मंद मंद मग डोळ्यांसमोर अवतरते तुझी प्रतिमा पण आता प्रतिमेपेक्षा तुझी ओढ अधिक आहे झाडांच्या मागे लपलेला तू अजून हवाहवासा वाटतोस श्वासांत भिनलेली मोहक रातराणी तुझ्या सहवासाची सय व